The American Council of Engineering Companies of Rhode Island, a professional association representing 50 engineering firms doing business in Rhode Island, is committed to encouraging students to pursue an engineering education. Originally founded as the Rhode Island Consulting Engineers (RICE), ACEC-RI has been rewarding academic scholarships to deserving engineering students for 28 years with a cumulative giving total of approximately $175,000.
This annual scholarship is awarded for academic achievement, related work experience, extracurricular activities, and community involvement to full-time students enrolled in an engineering program that has been accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET-EAC).
This year they presented five academic scholarships which totaled $12,500 to the following students,
- Logan Beattie, from Tiverton, currently in his Junior year at the University of Rhode Island to pursue his bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Daniel Bradley, from Cumberland, is a Junior at the University of Rhode Island. He is pursuing a double major in Computer Engineering and French.
- Anna Cetera, from Warwick, is currently in her Junior year the University of Rhode Island studying Biomedical Engineering and Spanish.
- Sam Hunt, from Woonsocket, while he was in his Senior year studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Rhode Island.
- Aaron Tutu, from North Providence, now in his Senior year majoring in Industrial & Systems Engineering at the University of Rhode Island.
The funds for these scholarships are raised through an annual golf tournament, now its 23rd year. The 2021 tournament will be held in the afternoon of September 9th at the Pawtucket Golf Club. All levels of play are encouraged! The registration and sponsorship form can be downloaded at https://bit.ly/2021ACEC-RIgolf.
For those students pursuing an engineering degree who are Rhode Island residents or attending a Rhode Island higher education institution and are interested in submitting a scholarship application or those who want to learn more about ACEC-RI, visit www.acec.org/rhode-island/.