EBC Rhode Island Chapter Program: Brownfields Projects – Helping Move Rhode Island’s Economy Forward
Contaminated Property Buying/Selling Strategies: A MOCK Transaction
This EBC Rhode Island Chapter program will provide an interactive case study on the trials and tribulations of redeveloping an old contaminated industrial property in RI into a new and vibrant use for the future. You will observe the interaction between the buyer (Solar Brothers, Inc.) and the sellers (Messy Scrap Yard Incorporated), along with their legal counsel, during acquisition negotiations, assessments, resolution of assessment results, the funding process and final sale of the project.
We will illustrate some of the nuances of contaminated property transactions in a MOCK transaction. See how buyer and seller teams posture and strategize to complete a deal where multiple environmental issues exist. Both teams will then debrief in a panel session to facilitate observations and questions from the audience. Our MOCK buyer and seller teams are practicing experts in their technical fields, as well as real estate development and law, who will lead us through a sometimes humorous, action packed role play.
The case study will involve Rhode Island High Energy Use Manufacturing, Inc (RIHEUM), a facility that uses large amounts of electricity, Solar Brothers that wants to supply electricity to RIHEUM and Messy Scrap Yard Incorporated that wants to sell a 75 year old 15 acre family run scrap yard located next door to RIHEUM.
General Continuing Education Certificates are awarded by the EBC for this program (3.5 training contact hours). Please select this option during registration if you wish to receive a certificate.
Program Chair & Panel Moderator
- Robert Atwood, President, Resource Control Associates; Chair, EBC Rhode Island Chapter
MOCK Transaction Team
- Robert Atwood, President, Resource Control Associates – “Owner/Seller”
- Christian Capizzo, Counsel, Shechtman Halperin Savage, LLP – “Legal Counsel to Seller”
- Alan Shoer, Shareholder, Adler Pollock & Sheehan, P.C. – “Legal Counsel to Buyer”
- Julian Dash, Principal/Founder, Clean Economy Development LLC – “Buyer/Developer”
- Scott Wolf, Executive Director, Grow Smart Rhode Island
- Terrence Gray, P.E., Assistant Director for Air, Waste & Compliance, RI Department of Environmental Management
- Mark J. House, Vice President, Resource Control Associates
- Warren A. Kirshenbaum, President, Cherrytree Group, LLC
- Mike Donegan, Attorney, Orson and Brusini, Ltd.
Visit the Presentations section of the EBC website to view the available presentations from this program.