This EBC Dam Management program will be divided into two parts. The first part will focus on state and federal hydropower initiatives. Undersecretary Bartlett of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs will provide a review of the comprehensive energy legislation that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts passed earlier this year. Next, Daniel Rabon of the U.S. Department of Energy will discuss federal hydropower initiatives. Former State Representative Paul Caron, a member of the EBC Dam Management Committee, will offer his perspective on small hydropower in the Commonwealth today and the challenges and opportunities facing owners.
The second half of the program will focus on innovations in hydropower engineering. As we know, the use of hydropower goes back thousands of years. The Greeks used water wheels to grind wheat into flour. The Romans built dams and aqueducts to bring water to areas where they needed it. Since the beginning, hydropower applications have continually been improved whether it be a new technology or the use of new materials. Such innovations in hydropower engineering are still occurring today. The second part of this program will be focused on three unique small hydropower applications/innovations.
The program will conclude with a panel discussion with presenters from both the first and second parts of the program.
General Continuing Education Certificates are awarded by the EBC for this program (3.5 training contact hours). Please select this option during registration if you wish to receive a certificate.
- Paul E. Caron, Director, Government Relations, Scuderi Clean Energy, LLC
- Matthew Taylor, P.E., Dam and Levee Group Leader / Associate Principal, GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.
Part One: Massachusetts Dam Legislative Initiatives
- Daniel Rabon, P.E., Hydropower Technology Manager of the Wind and Water Power Technologies Office, U.S. Department of Energy
- Ned Bartlett, Undersecretary, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts State Representative Paul Brodeur, Vice Chair, Committee on Telecommunications, Utilities & Energy
Part Two: Innovation in Small Hydropower
- Lenny Lozinsky, Executive Vice President, French Development Enterprises, LLC
- Salvatore Scuderi, President, Scuderi Clean Energy, LLC
- Nicholas Scuderi, Vice President, Sales & Business Development, Scuderi Clean Energy, LLC
- John Ashburne, Vice President, Business Development, Littoral Power Systems Inc.
The available presentations from the EBC Dam Management Program: Massachusetts Dam Legislative Initiatives and Innovation in Small Hydropower completed on November 3, 2016, can be viewed below. Presentations are not available for download.