- This event has passed.
EBC Dam Management & Climate Change Program: Dam Safety and Removal Legislation, Regulations and Permitting
April 8, 2013 @ 7:30 am - 12:00 pm
Governor Patrick’s recent signing of the new dam safety legislation “An Act Further Regulating Dam Safety, Repair and Removal (H4557)” was a promising step in the effort to address the dam safety issues that plague the Commonwealth. MassDEP also intends to reform the following statutes in 2013: Massachusetts Clean Waters Act M.G.L.c.21 26-53, The Wetlands Protection Act M.G.L. c.131, s40 and The Waterways Act M.G.L. c.91. With these two key regulatory developments, the permitting process for dam repairs and dam removals will be improved. The new dam legislation will also provide funding opportunities and provide the DCR’s Office of Dam Safety with some enhanced enforcement authority.
This EBC program will summarize the key points of the new dam safety legislation and the MassDEP regulation reform, provide an overview of the current permitting requirements for dam repair and dam removal in Massachusetts, and provide an open discussion to further explore how these changes will affect these types of projects in the future.
Matthew Taylor, P.E.
Senior Project Manager, GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.
- Thomas Jenkins, P.E., Associate Principal, GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.
- Beth Lambert, River Restoration Program Coordinator, Division of Ecological Restoration, Massachusetts Department of Fish & Game
- Lealdon Langley, Director, Wetlands and Waterways Program, MassDEP
- Tom Philbin, Senior Legislative Analyst, Massachusetts Municipal Association
- Other speakers to be announced.
The electricity for this EBC event has been matched with 100% local wind power through New England Wind, a program of Mass Energy Consumers Alliance. You can green your electricity too! Visit www.massenergy.org.