Please note: this program has been cancelled and will be rescheduled to early 2018.
This session will focus on the latest field techniques for collecting data from remote locations in the coastal zone, and turning these data into the information stakeholders need for decision-making. The speakers will focus on different aspects of data collection including satellite data sources, drones, and measurements systems with instruments deployed in the field. New methods for reporting data in real-time from remote measurements sites will be presented as well. Specific examples include:
- Satellite tracking systems to monitoring and manage important species (from eagles to tuna and reindeer) worldwide
- Bluewater fishing forecasts us remote sensing data from satellites
- Passive samplers for evaluating contaminant bioavailability
- Use of drones to measure coastal change
- Systems to monitor water quality during remediation
- Buoy, mooring, and telemetry systems to bring data to the desktop from 1,000 meters deep in the open ocean
Applications for these data products include endangered species management, optimization of offshore fishing success, determination of contaminant uptake pathways from the water column to organisms, improved design and monitoring for beach and dune nourishment projects, refinements to environmental remediation projects, and guidance for offshore energy exploration and project design.
- Bob Hamilton, President/Coastal Engineer, Woods Hole Group, Inc.
- Jim Occhialini, Vice President, Alpha Analytical
Satellite Remote Sensing Technologies and Applications
- Fabien Lefévre, Ph.D., Senior Project Manager, CLS Group
Passive Samplers for Evaluating Contaminant Bioavailability
- Lisa Lefkovitz, PMP, Senior Research Scientist, Battelle
Remediation Monitoring Buoy Deployment
- Michael Mahoney, ESS Group, Inc.
Real-Time Ocean Data from Ports to the Deep Ocean
- Bruce Magnell, Ph.D., Senior Oceanographer & Systems Engineer, Woods Hole Group, Inc.
Following the Speaker Presentations will be a Panel Discussion moderated by Bob Hamilton of Woods Hole Group.
Continuing Education Certificates are awarded by the EBC for this program (3.5 training contact hours). Please select this option during registration if you wish to receive a certificate.