As Rhode Island deals with the issues of limited revenue to manage the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation and shrinking landfill capacity to service the solid waste management needs of the state, planning and strategic decisions have to be made that will address the future solid waste needs of Rhode Island’s municipalities and businesses.
This EBC Rhode Island Chapter program will bring together key decision-makers to discuss current and future issues regarding the management and minimization of solid waste in Rhode Island. Discussion topics include an overview of the updated RI Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan. A panel will then discuss options and solutions for reducing the volume and handling solid waste in 2015 and beyond, including recycling, composting and food waste diversion.
This EBC program will also include a discussion on the characterization, management and reuse/disposal of contaminated soils in Rhode Island. Management of these contaminated soils is a significant waste management issue for real estate development including Brownfields projects in the state’s urban corridors.
Continuing Education Certificates are awarded by the EBC for this program (3.5 training contact hours). Please select this option during registration if you wish to receive a certificate.
- Edward Summerly, Principal, GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.
- Mark Dennen, Principal Environmental Scientist, Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
- Greg Gerritt, Environment Council of Rhode Island Compost Initiative
- Richard Hittinger, Principal, Alliance Environmental
- Sarah Kite-Reeves, Director of Recycling Services, Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation
- Krystal Noiseux, Recycling Program Manager, Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation; Vice Chair, Rhode Island Food Policy Council
- Michael O’Connell, Executive Director, Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation
- Tim O’Connor, Director of Environmental Health and Safety, Johnson & Wales University
- Chris Shafer, Senior Environmental Scientist, Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
- Dan Szetela, Solid Waste Engineering, Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation
Visit the Presentations section of the EBC website to view the available presentations from this program.View Final Agenda